Spinach Quiche

The past summer Sara and I spent our time trying to perfect the spinach quiche. 

 

I figured I would share my recipe for anyone who wanted to try. We like to try to make our favorite comfort foods more healthy than usual, so I guess this is a "low fat" version. It is so easy and so delicious. Even Chris, who doesn't like vegetables or anything without meat likes it. 

(forgive the picture, I took it with my phone)


CRUST 

Ingredients 
1 cup of white enriched flour
1/2 cup of wheat flour or wheat germ
1/4 cup apple sauce 
1/4 cup vegetable oil 
2 tablespoons of milk (I often use powdered milk and water and it makes no difference in taste) 

Directions
Place all ingredients in pie tin or quiche plate, whatever you have. Mix the ingredients with either a fork or whisk until they start to clump together. Then start to kneed the crust together like bread until it forms a dough. Smush dough with hands and pat it up the walls into a crust. 
You can either cook the crust by itself for 15 min on 350 degrees for a crispy crust or leave it in the fridge until the quiche is ready for a softer crust. (I don't pre cook the crust, but thats just because we like it softer.) 


QUICHE 

Ingredients
1/2 large yellow onion or 1 small yellow onion, depending on your onion preference 
1 large clove of garlic
1 small banana pepper (or small jalapeno)
1 cup thawed spinach 
3/4 cup feta
1/2 teaspoon paprika 
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs 
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup bisquick or pancake mix (I usually use pancake mix because thats just what we have around)
1 cup milk (again I often use powdered milk and water and there is no difference)   

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dice onion, garlic, and pepper, sauté on stove and set aside. Mix feta, paprika, salt, eggs, bisquick, apple sauce, and milk in separate container. Mix spinach with cooled onions, garlic, and pepper, and place in crust. Spread it around the bottom evenly. Pour milk and eggs mixture over the top  of the vegetables. Place quiche in oven until toothpick comes out clean after poking. (Usually around 30-45 min)


BON APPETIT!



0 comments:

Post a Comment